Let us help you make your landscape and garden be what you want them to be.
Looking to incorporate permaculture designs in your yard, but are not sure where and how to begin? I can help. Want to know what kind of plants are already growing on your property so that you can read your land? Know what plants to pull and what to leave, and what to eat? Miranda Kennedy can help.
We are experienced consultants, having helped hundreds of homeowners, business people and schools with money- and water-saving designs. We understand that everyone’s needs are different, and budgets are important, so we give you the most in the least amount of time.
Our consultations are Site Evaluations:
- We set up an appointment time via email, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- I send a questionnaire that you’ll fill out, and we’ll review it when I arrive. This focuses your needs and allows me the information to make the appropriate suggestions for your site.
- We walk the areas your property for which you would like advice, preferably starting at top of watershed.
- I give you answers to questions, provide suggestions, design ideas, problem-solving and recommendations. You are responsible for taking detailed notes or recording (as long as recording is personal use only). I give a lot of information, prepared! If I don’t have an answer, I’ll research it later and email the information to you.
- You are in control of the time I spend at your property. Most consultations run between one and three hours, depending upon your needs. I don’t ‘pad’ the time with idle chit-chat, but I take my cues from you.
- If you would like a written report, that will of course be extra to pay for my additional time, and that fee will be based on how extensive the report is.
- Site Evaluations are $50 per hour, and the time begins at your door. If mileage between my home (Fallbrook) and yours is over fifty miles, I ask a $20 additional travel fee, and $10 for each additional 10 miles beyond that. That fee can be shared if I visit more than one property during the trip. I have clients South near the border, East to desert areas and the mountains, North to Burbank and the area and South to the coast. I don’t mind traveling.
While I encourage homeowners to design their own gardens, I have designed many permaculture gardens for clients these San Diego. Most designs are hand-drawn; some are created on Sketchup. All are accompanied by extensive document listing the plants, the planting and irrigation techniques, a watering schedule, fertilization through permaculture, and the reasons behind the design choices. Designs begin at $600, depending upon the size of property and extensiveness of project.
Our success is when you begin to see the possibilities and solutions in your property, not just the problems.
I have resources listed on this blog and am always happy to answer questions from my clients about what we discussed via email for no additional cost.
I want to educate and help people garden naturally; I think it is one of the most important things we as homeowners can do for ourselves and our Earth. Therefore I keep my fees very low.
I have been the project manager on several large-scale and backyard plantings. If you have workers to install the garden who need guidance, I can give an on-site workshop for them at my usual rate of $50/hour to show them how to dig a swale, how to hugelkultur, and any other instruction they may need. I can assist further with the garden installation if desired.
Miranda can tell you all about your plants and wildlife; if she doesn’t know it on site, then she photographs it and researches it afterwards, and can send you a detailed report. Miranda graduated from Oregon State University’s Fisheries and Wildlife Department in 2013. She studied Wildlife Conservation, with a concentration on wild birds. She has been on the Board of the Fallbrook Land Conservancy, and a volunteer with their Native Plant Restoration Team. She is active on the top bird, insect and plant identification sites, both posting answers and searching for identifications. She has participated in local bird counts, and has written wildlife inventories. Her collection of data and photographs on flora and fauna is extensive. Miranda lectures, writes the Finch Frolic Facebook page posts on insects and animals, and loves to find out what roles they play in the balance of nature. She charges $50/hour consultation fee, and will send you a detailed identification list of species on your site for an additional fee.
I have my Permaculture Design Certificate, an AA degree in Landscape Architecture, a certificate in Irrigation Technology from Mira Costa College, and have studied Nursery and Landscape Design at Mesa College, as well as having been an organic gardener for most of my life and a permaculturalist since 2010. My daughter and I maintain Finch Frolic Garden ourselves, so we have lots of hands-on experience. I have advised many happy clients on how to make the garden they desire on a small budget, using permaculture techniques. Please see our Testimonials page.
The following photos are of some of our projects. Depending upon the size of the project, either we install plants ourselves, work with landscape professionals we trust, guide our client’s gardeners, or leave the design for our clients to install themselves. As permaculture is the underlying factor in all of our designs, the style of what we do changes with our clients. Much of our work is consulting, and empowering our clients to create their own landscapes with guidance.
Please contact either of us at email@example.com to set up a consultation. We will do our very best to make you thrilled and excited about your property! Thank, Diane Kennedy